"I let go to transformation.

I let loose, flying off into death, birth, void, full...

I am one with the beloved again.

She died laughing.

She died in ecstasy.

She died with her eyes wide open."





Sunday, August 1, 2010

Atheist?

In America, in this century, atheism is a touchy subject. It's a word that, as straight-forward as it seems,is also very misunderstood.
Being that this blog will be circulating among people who do believe in a God whole-heartedly, I thought it made sense to address my (probably surprising and confusing) lack of belief.
I won't get into it in depth. I just want to make a simple outline to explain myself clearly.


What being an atheist does NOT mean for me:


I don't believe in Jesus or Heavenly Father, but worship other deities.

I am angry at god.

I believe god is responsible for unhappiness and is therefore not worthy of being believed in.

I worship Satan, or some enemy of god.

I was so deeply offended by something in religion that I can't bring myself to believe its doctrine.

I was secretly hoping there was no god so that I could live the lifestyle I wanted, and therefore sought to destroy my faith through anti-religious literature.

I have never believed I had a close relationship with god.

I never felt I really knew if god was real, or religion was true.

I always disliked religion and was bored in church, feeling it was not true, and not right for me.

Ex or Anti-Mormons or anti-Mormon propoganda influenced me and began my path away from the church.


What being an atheist does mean for me:

I do not believe that there is a deity that created the universe.

I believe that the bible and all other sacred texts are and were written by men without divine inspiration.

I do not know for sure how the universe began, and I don't pretend to. Anything we don't understand can be attempted to be understood through the scientific method.

I came to the conclusion through reasoning and logic.

I feel that belief in the supernatural does some good for people, and also does much bad.

I don't believe that I know 100% that there is no supernatural deity out there somewhere, but I don't believe there is, and if there was, I am convinced it could not be a benevolent creator.

I loved god and church and wanted to do what was right. I felt that there was nothing wrong in learning more about my religion and god because it was unavoidably true, and thus I discovered cracks in the foundation of belief.

As I grew up and became more knowledgeable and better at reasoning, I began to witness the world as it really is, and saw the inconsistencies between religious ideology and reality.

This is a great video where a man much smarter and more eloquent than me explains exactly what lack of belief means:



Quote from the video: "To the degree that we can know anything I think it is pretty close to knowledge, at least for me." (That there is no god)

No comments:

Post a Comment